Testing

Welcome to our little internet cafe, where you'll find our musings on life, love, magic, music, food, spirituality, and more.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Maiden Voyage

Kayaks just launched on Rocky Gorge Reservoir, Laurel, MD
After much delay and aching frustration, we picked up our kayaks this past Sunday morning, loaded them up on our new roof mounts, and drove (watching nervously to make sure we'd secured them properly) to Rocky Gorge Reservoir in Laurel, MD to take them out for their Maiden Voyage.




Kayaks loaded up!  (Before we attached the front/back lines).
We launched at Scotts Cove, the wind pretty fierce as we made our way "upstream" (we decided to go away from the T. Howard Ducket Dam and try to see if we could reach the bridge we cross on Route 29).  I fudged and fiddled a bit getting used to my PFD, but once I took off my jacket I settled down, and in minutes we were gliding along, "Against the Wind" playing in my head as we warmed up and breathed a joint sigh of relief -- it was like letting go of some huge weight, finally being back out in The Nature!

Aerial view of Rocky Gorge Reservoir -- it's pretty big!

Rocky Gorge Reservoir is owned by WSSC and serves as a reserve water source for the area, as well as providing a LOT of fun!  Apparently the fishing it pretty amazing there... we didn't cover even 1/3 of the 773 acres, but we saw plenty of spots that looked promising... we'll definitely be trying our hand and finding out!

It's pretty deep - the average depth in the main channel is 72 feet - though the many "nooks and crannies" are what really appeal to us.  We explored just one of those this trip, and dubbed it "Inlet Alpha."




Ok, so I'm kind of a dork. :)

By the time we reached Inlet Alpha, we'd pretty much used up most of our energy reserves, so it was nice to have a quiet, tranquil paddle down through and into the little coves.  I spotted a blue heron, but couldn't fumble my iPhone out fast enough to catch a picture.  Justin noticed some Canada geese hanging out in one cove, and I slipped up close enough to get some video of them, but realized that you make a lot of noise when you try to turn your kayak around, so I wound up startling them after all (sorry guys!)


After apologizing profusely to my irritated avian friends, we headed down toward a really narrow point.  Looking at the map, Justin though it might actually have a beach-like area where we might get out and stretch our legs a bit.  However, the water level was obviously really high, and everything was underwater, albeit only by a few inches.  This gave us occasion to find out just how awesome kayaks are for shallow water... and how much of a klutz I am while trying to hold an iPhone and steer my boat at the same time.



Here is what I MEANT to do... iPhone fail; Android win (though it has more to do with the videographer than the camera, I have a feeling).

On the way back, I spotted a really spiffy tree...

Spiffy tree.
... and some even spiffier boulders.  Next time, when the water has warmed up so we aren't risking hypothermia should we not make it, I want to try climbing up there.



We were pretty pooped after three hours of paddling, but the tail wind helped make the trip back to the boat ramp a little easier, and I was sad to get out of the water!  Fortunately, this is just the first of many adventures... can't wait for the next one!





No comments:

Post a Comment