Testing

Welcome to our little internet cafe, where you'll find our musings on life, love, magic, music, food, spirituality, and more.

Monday, September 8, 2014

Fierce Fierke Pickles

For the past two years, I have enjoyed the most perfect pickle EVER at Stones Rising, thanks to the pickling genius of Eric F.  This year, he graciously consented to give me his recipe.  This weekend, I made my first batch of what I will now call my Fierce Pickles.  He said I should feel free to "add more peppers," so of course... I added the rest of the Tabascos that Justin and I grew and then froze, ditto for a couple of habañeros, ditched the jalapeños in favor of some serranos, and left in the poblano, just because I like the flavor.  I also added a TON of garlic, and lots of onions.

I didn't ask Eric what process he used, so I just winged it... chopped everything up, sprinkled with a bunch of sea salt, threw it in a ziplock bag and put it in the fridge for about 3 hours, mushing it around a couple of times.  Then I dumped it all in a colander and rinsed it very, very thoroughly.

I then packed it all in jars (this made 3 quarts perfectly), heated up the brine made with Eric's recipe, and ladled the boiling mixture over the vegetables.  These are just refrigerator pickles, as I didn't process them, but the jars sealed up tight and now I am going to have to discipline myself not to taste-test an entire quart before they're done!


Here's the brine mix:

9 cups water
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. peppercorns
1 tsp. dill seed
1 oz. minced fresh dill

And these are the veggies and proportions I wound up using (there was a LOT of brine left over, as I didn't use 1/2 peck of cukes as the original recipe called for):

12 pickling cucumbers, cut into 1" chunks
1 large Vidalia onion, sliced
1 cups garlic cloves, sliced thinly
4 serrano peppers, sliced into rings (I left the seeds and membranes in)
8 Tabasco peppers, whole
3 habanero peppers, sliced into rings (seeds discarded)
1 large poblano pepper, sliced into rings (seeds discarded)

I did taste-test one last night... it's pretty fiery and fierce already!  I seem to have managed not only to pickle the peppers, but also to have peppered the pickles!  Too awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment